[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 29 20:03:03 WST 2003

Ah, where's my flamethrower:

I agree with Scott in that the optimisation for speed thing is largely
smoke - not completely, but gain for effort can be small.

Current liveCD install is excellent with good auto hardware detection.

Gentoo's strength is configurability, ease of tuning and optimisation
for speed in special cases (despite what I said above, there are cases
where it does make a worthwhile difference, but it wont turn a 486 into
an athlon)

Downsides are time to build from scratch (there are full binary installs
that are as fast as other distros though), and you really do need to
know what you are doing: no safety ropes here.  Pick the wrong
optimisations for your hardware as I did for distroday1 and its slower
than debian.

All my systems have been built via modem from home!  That is, I still
have the tarballs from the first install and copy them around, updating
as necessary.  No real drama, but a bit slow for your first system.

I really learnt linux when I did my first gentoo install, despite years
of Mandrake and Redhat, I found I had only scratched the surface.  If
someone with linux experience comes up, I would say try gentoo (do a
binary install if time worries you) and learn, otherwise do Mandrake:
still my desktop of choice for the less experienced or those in a
hurry.  Forget redhat these days.  debian gives me the horrors.  They
say stable really is stable, but to get the thing to work on anything
modern you have gotta start installing lots of stuff that is, shall we
say - suspect (e.g., on distroday 1 debian actually had a later kernel
than gentoo coz the stable was so far out of date!) I have seen a few
dead/deadish debian systems and they do seem more prone to dependency
hell than release disro's like mandrake and redhat.

Mind you, I moved from Mandrake to Gentoo coz at least I can fix it when
things go wrong: binary distros always end up with me reformatting and
starting again after about 6 months of "whats happens if I do this ..."

Now I have insulted the debian crowd, I am going into hiding ...

BillK