[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Oct 30 09:30:31 WST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:32:03AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

| That said, I wouln't want to have to do things like bring a debian
| package up to a newer upstream version.

I have done this a couple of times, although these were simple packages
and the upstream changes were fairly minor.  Basically it involved
copying the debian/ directory across and editing the changelog, then
fixing any weirdness that happened in the build.  It's not likely to
work if the new upstream version installs extra files (in my case there
was extra documentation only - adding this into the .deb is presumably
quite trivial, but I didn't bother).

Creating a whole new Debian package from scratch, on the other hand,
involves perusing that monstrous document that is Debian Policy.

Cameron.