[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo (long!)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 29 20:58:42 WST 2003

"emerge -f <package>" is the command: it will download the specified
package, and dependencies to the cache and exit.  Useful in cronjobs
etc., an occaisionally on dialup as mentioned.  I have the fetch set to
use wget with a bandwidth limit on the gateway (to avoid complaints from
the family) and rsync internally to download them to the local machine,
or serv the packages via an nfs mount.

Simultaneous download/build has been asked for, but its been a long time
coming!  You can do multiple builds at the same time, but checking that
one doesnt step on another is your responsibility, so its risky, but I
often do it.  If a build fails, I just kick it off again, in the right
order (that is, wait until a common dependency is built before
restarting)

BillK