[plug] VLAN support (trunking)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Oct 30 21:09:25 WST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:42:53PM +0800, Tony Breeds wrote:
> The nice thing is your card itself doesn't need to support VLANs any old
> NIC will work.

Well, nearly. In my experience, a lot of cards don't account for the
fact a VLAN tagged packet is 4 bytes larger, so packets start
getting awfully fragmented and suddenly you're transferring 4kb/s
over 100Mbit ethernet.

One card that definitely deals with this transparently for you is
the Intel EtherExpress PRO's. (Some tulips claim to, but none that
I've ever tried). There are probably others too, but I can't say
much about them.

Or have I missed some vital command all my life that resolves this
for other cards? :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--