[plug] IDE-TAPE

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Sep 1 11:36:59 WST 2003

> Just installed a SONY AIT2 IDE drive into a Debian 2.4.18-686 box.
> According to the person who installed it (I'm in Kununurra, the box in
> Perth), the BIOS shows the drive, but in dmesg I see nothing.
>
> While I need to run ide-tape etc, I'm guessing that before anything will
> work, I need to see it in dmesg first?

Probably, yes.

If it's an ATA tape drive, you may need to boot with an extra argument
on the kernel command line (sigh). Try 'hdc=ide-tape' (replacing hdc
with the correct device that the tape drive is on).

You will need to 'modprobe ide-tape' as root before anything will work
or even detect.

Other than that - not the foggiest, I've only ever used SCSI tape drives.