[plug] IDE-TAPE

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Sep 1 17:51:51 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 11:36, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Just installed a SONY AIT2 IDE drive into a Debian 2.4.18-686 box.
> > According to the person who installed it (I'm in Kununurra, the box in
> > Perth), the BIOS shows the drive, but in dmesg I see nothing.
> >
> > While I need to run ide-tape etc, I'm guessing that before anything will
> > work, I need to see it in dmesg first?
>
> Probably, yes.

Still no luck with dmesg.

> If it's an ATA tape drive, you may need to boot with an extra argument
> on the kernel command line (sigh). Try 'hdc=ide-tape' (replacing hdc
> with the correct device that the tape drive is on).

I've tried both with append="hdc=ide-tape" and append="hdc=ide-scsi".
Neither shows anything in dmesg.

Also, modprobe for ide-tape or st, just works without errors, no
messages anywhere that I can see.

So, here's what I've tried:
      * Just boot the machine, nothing shows on ide1 (the secondary
        channel)
      * Boot the machine, using append="hdc=ide-tape"
      * Boot the machine, using append="hdc=ide-scsi"
      * Looked on google for ait2, ide-tape, sony SDX520 and a few
        (>>50) other permutations
      * Upgraded kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.21 (Because the linux tape
        certification site at: <http://www.linuxtapecert.org/> suggested
        issues with the 2.4.18 kernel)
      * Spoke with Sony Technical Support - sorry, we don't support
        linux (even though there is a Sony press release exclaiming
        their AIT2 tape drive certification)
        <http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:pzOqKu0Eyq4J:www.qualstar.com/ait_linuxcert.pdf+linux+ait-2&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>
      * Spoke with Sony recommended local support (Barhams)
      * Banged my head against the screen - luckily no cracks whilst
        exclaiming: "Why is everything simple just so b***dy hard!"

Apart from "Sorry, can't help", any other ideas?
http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:pzOqKu0Eyq4J:www.qualstar.com/ait_linuxcert.pdf+linux+ait-2&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..