[plug] IDE-TAPE

John Clayton mageaere at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:41:53 WST 2003

>Just installed a SONY AIT2 IDE drive into a Debian 2.4.18-686 box.
>According to the person who installed it (I'm in Kununurra, the box in
>Perth), the BIOS shows the drive, but in dmesg I see nothing.

This may sound silly but when you detect ide devices in the bios it can
give you the option of skipping the entry therefore leaving it blank if it
was blank before. Has you friend made sure that the device is actually
enabled in the bios and not just seen that it is detected in the bios?
Does it show up in the initial screen that shows processor type/speed,
memory drives and the various irq entries? If not then nothing will show
up in dmesg.