[plug] IDE-TAPE

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Mon Sep 1 19:51:53 WST 2003

> This may sound silly but when you detect ide devices in the bios it can
> give you the option of skipping the entry therefore leaving it blank if it
> was blank before.

My understanding was linux accesses ide devices directly (hdds) without
using the bios ? Is this the same for cd drives and tape drives? My
experience is that if I have a hard disk disabled in the bios, linux will
still find it.

Steves suggestion sounds pretty obvious, so I might make another : Are the
master/slave jumpers set correctly for the device ? Also, is the tape drive
on a standard IDE controller chipset ( my dual celery 433 has two ide
controllers, one 'standard' UDMA 33 and a highpoint UDMA 66) - hdd's on the
highpoint driver appear on /dev/hdg and /dev/hdh

cheers