Netway "Wizards" (was: Re: [plug] D-Link DSL200 Linx support)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Sep 2 06:19:22 WST 2003

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 08:50:37PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Okay, so this is probably OT-ish for this list (apologies to those not
> interested or who already know) but here goes:

Ditto :)

> A number of people have got Linux on it.  They come preinstalled with a
> messed-up copy of an antique version of Red Hat; if (like me) you'd much
> rather spend a few minutes messing with software than rip out the hard
> drive [1] and install stuff using another machine, you can take
> advantage of the RH installation like so:

Just FYI, this is what I'm currently doing for a woody install:

 - boot them up into RH6.2, download an etherboot image[1]
 - cat it > /dev/hda
 - reboot with your pre-prepared dhcp & tftpserver serving a debian
   install image[2]
 - use the rescue console to repartition and format the drive
 - wget & untar a debian skeleton system onto the drive[3]
 - edit lilo.conf, fstab, and hostname
 - run lilo
 - reboot :)

These steps might take some practice to get right, but if anybody
can find me in UCC during the day I'm happy to do them :)

> [1] The hard drive in my Wizards were held in with Allan key screws; a
> friend of mine got his with normal Phillips heads, so perhaps I was just
> lucky (-:

I've been carrying one round in my pocket lately - they've come in
very handy :)

I'm working on making a fully netbootable X-terminal[4], similar to
LTSP, but without the need for an NFS server - X server et al is all
contained within the initrd. It's currently using the VESA server,
because nothing else has yet worked, but I realised I have one more
driver to try (X SVGA 3.3.1 linked against libc5 is claimed to work... :)

Followups on the wizard list, cc'd (apologies for the cross-post :)

Regards,

Bernard.

[1] http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/wizard/netboot/etherboot.rom
[2] http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/wizard/debinstall.img