Netway "Wizards" (was: Re: [plug] D-Link DSL200 Linx support)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Sep 1 20:50:37 WST 2003

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:19:22AM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:

| PS I've bought one as a test bed for several ideas I'd like to try.  Anyone
| got Linux onto one of these yet?  Sounds like Cameron might have.

Okay, so this is probably OT-ish for this list (apologies to those not
interested or who already know) but here goes:

A number of people have got Linux on it.  They come preinstalled with a
messed-up copy of an antique version of Red Hat; if (like me) you'd much
rather spend a few minutes messing with software than rip out the hard
drive [1] and install stuff using another machine, you can take
advantage of the RH installation like so:

- Boot into a root prompt using the init=/bin/sh trick - you'll need the
  LILO password ("2stupid4me" - cheers Harry!).  From here you can
  remount the root device RW, set the root password, umount / and
  reboot.

- When the system comes up, it appears to hang while booting. Actually
  it isn't dead and you can get a getty by hitting Alt-F2.  Log in as
  root, FTP across [2] a kernel image and initrd for the installer of your
  distro of choice, edit the LILO config to boot said installer.  Run
  lilo, reboot, and with any luck you should be on your way :)

(Above instructions worked for installing Debian woody on two Wizards.
Your mileage may of course vary :-P)

Bernard has set up a mailing list for discussion of these things:
and also a web page with interesting bits on it:
	http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/wizard/

You may want to glance through the ML archives for information on stuff
like running X, cables for sound, etc.

Cheers,

Cameron.

PS. Re using the thing as a gateway/router: someone I know is using his
as a gateway with a USB ethernet adapter ($55 from PLE (?), uses the
"rtl8150" driver) and an ethernet cable modem, and AFAIK it works fine.

[1] The hard drive in my Wizards were held in with Allan key screws; a
friend of mine got his with normal Phillips heads, so perhaps I was just
lucky (-:

[2] The version of SSH included refused to talk to my Debian box so FTP
was the only option.