[plug] Scrollback in screen(1) ?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Sep 2 10:55:55 WST 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:48:42PM +1000, Andrew Furey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been playing around with screen(1). It looks like
> it will come in handy, for the
> "detach-active-console-and-come-back-to-later" use
> (rather than the "use-multiple-consoles-in-one-window"
> use, whereby I just open another window ;)

It's also handy for starting something that will take a while (eg
compiling kde :) and looking at it later when I get home.

> It seems to have a "scroll buffer" which by default is
> 1000 (lines?), but I'm not sure if that's what I'm
> looking for, and if so, how to enable it. Googling
> doesn't particularly help, I just come up with umpteen
> copies of the Linux Keyboard and Console HOWTO :(

Control-A [    or
Control-A Escape

Then you can scroll up with vi keys (j k ^U ^D) or arrow and page keys.
There's a copy buffer which I don't use so can't tell you how.  I exit
that mode with two enter keys.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Money is the root of all evil, and man needs roots.