[plug] undelete files in ext3 file system

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Sep 2 13:29:32 WST 2003

The majority of the results mention what you've already said and that is based on luck, unfortunately, the drive has and still is in use as this was done on their main server.  Other results mentions mc, debugfs and recover.  Most of it seems to be related to ext2 fs not ext3.  Those on the ext3 recommend imaging the drive and doing a grep.  Only problem with this is the clients share data area was the affected area and they haven't a clue about what was on it.  I also see that only text files  "if lucky" can be restored.  Again if lucky.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

In message <20030902042913.GA14301 at mail.guild.uwa.edu.au>
on Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:29:13PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> There are some luck-related undelete tools, but you may have to
> resort to doing a string search over the entire drive.

It would be interesting to know if, by a fluke, it were possible for you
to recover info about your file from remnants of the ext3 journal. Try
searching Google as a first step to finding out about the world's
experiences with file recovery.