[plug] [link] big news - Tel$ra on Linux ?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 2 16:05:27 WST 2003

> No need to justify your post, it was worth it for the
> humour-by-selective-quoting value, too ;-)
>
>     'Telstra would retain NT servers for "simpler applications",
>     Mr Smith said...'

Yeah.... like I retain SCO OpenServer here, perhaps - because I CAN'T
GET RID OF IT.

Actually, we use NT here as well, as it's the only non-Apple thing I've
found that's a vaguely decent MacOS fileserver. No, AppleShare IP is not
an option - gotta love mac hardware prices. Maybe netatalk is getting
there now, but I wouldn't trust it for production yet - it was too
recently that Photoshop couldn't even open files on netatalk volumes.

Our classifieds database also runs on NT, with SQL Anywhere 5.0 . I wish
I could move to Linux, but it isn't going to be possible. Semi-custom
software lock-in - yay.

Unfortunately, that article reads like a 3 hour interview cut down to a
1 minute read. More detail (like, say, a full case study) would be
awfully nice.

We all know that all any IT improvements within Telstra will achieve is
to make more profit to spend on shareholders instead of little things
like maintainance. Still, if they're successful then maybe folks like
Government departments will start considering a simiar move. To me,
that's more important - there, operation costs are coming out of /our/
pockets, and going mostly to overseas software companies.

Craig Ringer