[plug] [link] big news - Tel$ra on Linux ?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 2 17:16:59 WST 2003

>>Yeah.... like I retain SCO OpenServer here, perhaps - because I CAN'T
>>GET RID OF IT.
>
> We'll have to sit down and work out exactly why; next time I don't
> forget about a PLUG workshop.

Not going to happen ; sorry. You'd be wasting your time. We need
OpenServer for our ancient Accounts & Bookings system, which is a custom
application written in Plain English for Microsoft Xenix/386. It runs
under SCO only in a Xenix kernel personality, and there's no hope of
getting the binaries running under Linux (except in a VM - and what
would be the point?). Source code for the Plain English execution
environment is not avalable, and I expect it would take an incredible
amount of porting if it was. The darn thing doesn't even use termcap,
letalone terminfo, it uses some horrible hardcoded terminal emulation
for a hacked-up ANSI terminal.

We're slowly working on replacing it, but it's a slow and painful process.

Craig Ringer