[plug] [link] big news - Tel$ra on Linux ?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 2 17:38:29 WST 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 05:16:59PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >>Yeah.... like I retain SCO OpenServer here, perhaps - because I CAN'T
> >>GET RID OF IT.
> >
> >We'll have to sit down and work out exactly why; next time I don't
> >forget about a PLUG workshop.

> Not going to happen ; sorry. You'd be wasting your time. We need
> OpenServer for our ancient Accounts & Bookings system, which is a
> custom application written in Plain English for Microsoft
> Xenix/386.

I know about that. The offender is known to me.

> It runs under SCO only in a Xenix kernel personality, and there's
> no hope of getting the binaries running under Linux (except in a
> VM - and what would be the point?). Source code for the Plain
> English execution environment is not avalable, and I expect it
> would take an incredible amount of porting if it was.

Last time I saw the source code (1996), I got the impression that
it's almost a trivial application. I'm not sure that source code can
be recovered, but I wouldn't rule it out without trying.

_You_ could probably re-write the application in Python against a
free SQL DB that knows about transactions.