[plug] OpenServer on Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 2 18:22:57 WST 2003

> Er... havng been saddled with a SCO OpenServer box myself (5.0.5m), I've
> been looking into Linux-ABI. Two of the things that Linux-ABI sports
> are a Xenix personality and a '286-executable loader.

Interesting. I tried out linux-abi (or maybe it was the linux 2.2 iBCS
code) and found that it didn't want to execute the system binaries at
all. It'd run SCO OpenServer binaries, but not Xenix ones. I'll have to
take another look. In the end, though, OpenServer is the least of our
worries here (frighteningly).

> These guys need five serial terminals, and the Stallion installer for an
> EasyIO 4 requires networking - which these guys don't have a licence
> for (no, I'm serious, you get to licence TCP separately with this dog).

Seriously? Our OpenServer is an Enterprise install of 5.0.5, and it has
TCP/IP built-in. Perhaps they got a more basic version of OpenServer
than we did. The TCP/IP seems to be in listed under 'SCO OpenServer
Enterprise System->SCO OpenServer Enterprise System Connectivity->SCO
TCP/IP' in custom.

I love the way I can fire up custom, scoadmin, etc on my linux box over
remote X. If it'll still talk to OpenServer, then it's pretty
impressively backward compatable.

Craig Ringer