[plug] PLUG list -> RSS feed

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 3 07:55:01 WST 2003

In message <1062470576.566.53.camel at debian>
on Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:43:01AM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> the only mailto: parameter options that I know about currently that
> can be implemented in HTML and javascript are CC, BBC, SUBJECT and
> BODY TEXT

Actually, URLs with the mailto protocol (RFC 2368) will support
arbitrary headers (and body text) via their URL query strings. Browsers
might only support To, Subject, Keywords and the Body, but that is
technically a browser implementation issue (and unfortunately, RFC 2368
advises programmers that only To, Subject, Keywords and Body are
"believed to be both safe and useful"). (Even then, as Onno mentioned,
no one will want real e-mail addresses on the web.) Note: I'm not trying
to express any opinion about the use of RSS, I'm just trying to clarify
that mailto: is a URL protocol rather than a JavaScript feature per se.