[plug] CUE/BIN vs ISO

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Sep 3 21:51:57 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 17:41, Derek Fountain wrote:
> So the link you gave earlier, which I'd read before and just served to confuse
> me, suggests that CD copy programs like Nero actually do the equivalent of
> mounting the disk and copying the files it can see. It'll miss off audio data
> if it happens to be there.
>
> A CUE/BIN generator actually takes audio with it, like a 'dd' would.

My understanding is that this is not true.

Audio is *not* like data.

The CD drive needs to move into "audio mode" and the whole thing changes
it's inside workings to make this happen. You don't get the same
behaviour like guaranteed bits that you get from a data-CD.

It has taken me a long time to come to grips with this phenomenon - I
needed to sample my CD collection before starting my trip, and nothing
would actually get me the same sample every time. All you could get was
an approximation which was more or less the same each time - but not on
a bit level.

I suppose the audio output stage of a CD player takes out all the
changes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it works.

Cheers,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..