[plug] CUE/BIN vs ISO

Weirdo linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 12 18:08:19 WST 2003

 From my experiences dd does a binary duplication of the surface. This
means that it is not a ISO but a BIN. The audio on a data cd is still
binary so it comes with every thing else. When you mount the BIN file using
ISO9660 it mounts the ISO portion of it as it is reading the file in
exactly the same way as if it was /dev/cdrom. Audio is Data, it is binary
data, other wise how can it be stored in a binary format? dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=~/somefile.bin will get every binary bit from the surface including
audio. This WON'T work for a CSS DVD as the encryption stops the DVD drive
from allowing extraction without a CSS key (some dvd drives probably will
allow it).
Nero will do a raw data copy when it is in CD Copy mode, it will get the
audio with it (Nero 5.x -> Nero 6)
Think about it, how else can things like playstation 1 games, 'special'
audio cds and the likes all get copyed when the OS can't read the file system?
Tim
p.s. If you disagree with anything said and can prove it then please do. I
am going mainly on experience as part of my work involves making exact
images of cds for storage.

p.p.s In regards to getting a cd sample, if it an audio cd chances are
their will be errors when it gets read. A data cd will get re-read until it
is read without errors, and audio cd it is usually a single bit every now
and then and can't be heard but the output file will be different. When I
get time i will write about this in more depth and post it.
At 21:51 03/09/2003 +0800, you wrote:
> > A CUE/BIN generator actually takes audio with it, like a 'dd' would.
>
>My understanding is that this is not true.
>Audio is *not* like data.
>
>The CD drive needs to move into "audio mode" and the whole thing changes
>it's inside workings to make this happen. You don't get the same
>behaviour like guaranteed bits that you get from a data-CD.
>
>It has taken me a long time to come to grips with this phenomenon - I
>needed to sample my CD collection before starting my trip, and nothing
>would actually get me the same sample every time. All you could get was
>an approximation which was more or less the same each time - but not on
>a bit level.
>
>I suppose the audio output stage of a CD player takes out all the
>changes.
>
>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it works.
>
>Cheers,
>

>Onno Benschop
>
>Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls,
>Kununurra, WA)
>--
>()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
>--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..
>
>Proudly supported by Skipper Trucks, Highway1, Concept AV, Sony Central,
>Dalcon
>ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - onno at itmaze dot com
>dot au

weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk
Dot TK ambassador #24084 - For a free .tk domain please contact me

ICQ# 255176389
MSN weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk

Riverton, Perth, WA