[plug] Religious debate - editor wars

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Sep 4 12:17:37 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 11:47, Richard Meyer wrote:
> To be honest, it arose out of me seeing a pamphlet on the colleague's desk,
> and enquiring about it.e was enthusiastic.

The question you should ask yourself is this:
        "Who's money was spent, his or the boss'?"

While I have spent money on closed source software and expect to
continue to do so for some time, I use and prefer open source software
whenever I can.

I mentionned in passing that I used EditPlus2 under NT. I went on a hunt
to replace Notepad and all the crappy editors that came to visit were
not any better. I downloaded and installed a trial version of EditPlus2
and spent my *own* money within 30 minutes of installing the software.

I spent some considerable time attempting to make it run under Linux
because I liked it so - and I miss some of its features today - but the
emulation effort wasn't worth the investment and I finally found nedit.

So, don't get me wrong. If the application does what you need, then go
spend your money, but as I said before, I prefer open source.

--> Let the wars begin <--

(That last line was a joke)

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..