[plug] Religious debate - editor wars

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 4 12:36:06 WST 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 12:17:37PM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 11:47, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > To be honest, it arose out of me seeing a pamphlet on the
> > colleague's desk, and enquiring about it.e was enthusiastic.
>
> The question you should ask yourself is this:
>         "Who's money was spent, his or the boss'?"

It's *never* the boss' money that's spent. Money that the boss has
to spend comes out of operating costs that include wages and
salaries. i.e. it comes out of the employees' pockets in deferred
pay rises and reduced bonuses.

He can't get the extra off the customers because of competitive
pressures. Employees are an easier "target" as well.

> While I have spent money on closed source software and expect to
> continue to do so for some time, I use and prefer open source software
> whenever I can.

So you should. Even as an employee!

> I mentionned in passing that I used EditPlus2 under NT. I went on a hunt
> to replace Notepad and all the crappy editors that came to visit were
> not any better. I downloaded and installed a trial version of EditPlus2
> and spent my *own* money within 30 minutes of installing the software.

You should just have fetched gvim. :-)