[plug] Religious debate - editor wars

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 4 15:31:21 WST 2003

Ben New wrote:
< snip>
> One question - why the "but" before saying its written in java? That
> should be changed to "and as an added bonus... (because you can use the
> same tool in winblows and linux and macos and amiga any other platform
> which has a port of java available)..."
>
> I've seen a couple of anti-java sentiments in here and was wondering
> where this is coming from? Let me guess, something about Suncorp being
> analagous to M$ as a corporation?
>
> Ben

I like java but-  downside (Java and/ or jedit):
1. Try running a java app on a low powered pc.
2. Jedit requires a GUI.  vim doesn't

Other than that, Jedit is fast, powerful, capable, extensible... Like I
said, if I didn't use vim, Jedit would be it.

As far as Sun goes, I have no problem with them except that sometimes it
is hard to work out which direction they are heading in.

Tim Bowden