[plug] Religious debate - editor wars

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Thu Sep 4 15:51:53 WST 2003

Tim Bowden wrote:

> I like java but- downside (Java and/ or jedit):
> 1. Try running a java app on a low powered pc.

Define "low powered" I guess... Try running anything on a 486/sx33!

Of course (and this goes with my reply to James Devenish as well) a Java
app will be necessarily slower than the equivalent natively-compiled
app. It goes without saying that due to the extra layer of the Java VM,
there will be a slow-down. Therefore there will be a point in "power"
where a java app won't run smoothly but a natively compiled equivalent will.

> 2. Jedit requires a GUI. vim doesn't

well the original question was about "mouse-centric editors" so I
assumed a GUI was part of that :-)

Ben