[plug] does anyone know how to set a mac address on a dummy net interface?

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Sep 5 14:48:56 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 14:09, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2003, quoth Bill Kenworthy:
>
> > does anyone know how to set a mac address on a dummy net interface?
>
> yeah, ifconfig it down first.
> You can't change the mac address on a live interface.

This is all new to me btw, I know how to do it but have never bothered
to play with it :)

I just tried it on a client here using what i did in my last email on
eth0.

ip link set eth0 address aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa

The arp table on one of the servers I probed recorded this:

10.2.0.22     ether    AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA  C     eth0

Looks sufficiently spoofed to me.  Is the arp table showing what I want
to see so I feel happy it worked and is storing the real one elsewhere,
or is the server truly being dealt the fake MAC address from my client?

Ryan