[plug] does anyone know how to set a mac address on a dummy net interface?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Sep 5 14:58:45 WST 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, quoth Ryan:

> This is all new to me btw, I know how to do it but have never bothered
> to play with it :)
>
> ip link set eth0 address aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa
>
> Looks sufficiently spoofed to me.  Is the arp table showing what I want
> to see so I feel happy it worked and is storing the real one elsewhere,
> or is the server truly being dealt the fake MAC address from my client?

It works fine.  You just need to re-set it every boot.

The mac address of this machine I'm on now (its name is "live") has been
DE:AD:DE:AD:DE:AD for several years now :)

Another fun command if you have the iproute utilities is:

ip link set eth0 name adsl
ip link set eth1 name lan
ip link set eth2 name wireless

or whatever

then you can "ifconfig wireless 10.60.0.34" etc

Also useful if you have multiple PPPoE connections, where normally they'd
be assigned ppp0 and ppp1 depending on which got brought up first - you
can configure a script that names them "bigpond" and "westnet" as
appropriate, which simplifies the firewall and routing table.

I did exactly that for a customer last week.

 - Matt