[plug] Can you recommend a book on learning Linux?

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Mon Sep 8 17:01:01 WST 2003

Leon Brooks wrote:

>I've had three customers ask for same within the last week, and I
>generally don't use books.
>
>The machine the most recent querant is using is a Mandrake 9.1 box which
>is RPM-based and has a fairly modern KDE as the default WM, so I
>suspect that a book starting there would be fairly apropos.
>
>Generally, expense is not a big problem but a book which is obsolete or
>lacks relevancy (too computer-sciency and light on practical examples,
>or too fluffy and up to the eyeballs in cute icons at the expense of
>real content) is.
>
>What can you recommend?
>
>Cheers; Leon

Well, when it comes todesktop user level kind of books, the books that
come with the distros (Mandrake, Suse I have seen) do a fairly good job
these days when it comes to explaining the basics (ie: the user
interface basics, mostly - and it explains the kind of things that
beginners want to know, like how to set up their email). Plus they're
distro specific which I think is very helpful for newbies. If catering
to the newbie with Mandrake, I recommend the Mandrake User's Manual.

The "For Dummies" series are basically a waste of time. Apart from that
I haven't seen much (and I am a book reader/buyer) that does a really
good job of introducing Linux/Desktop OSS.

For something meatier, I recommend the "Linux Administration Handbook"
by Nemeth, Snyder& Hein which I got recently (published 2002). Very
practical and easy to understand intro to the more in depth aspects of
Linux.

HTH,
sol

--