[plug] PPC firewall question

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Sep 8 20:42:35 WST 2003

Hello,

I have a Power Mac 7220 that I have recently used to install PPC Debian
3.0r1

For some reason I could only boot the install from BootX (under Mac OS
8.5) using kernel ver 2.2. Trying to boot the install using 2.4 would
freeze the system.

Now that I have the system installed nicely I am reviewing my options
for firewallage.

I took a look over at shorewall

(http://www.shorewall.net/)

and it seems that as netfilter is built into the 2.4 kernel if I wish to
remain with 2.2 I should use the Seattle Firewall or Seawall (interface
to IPchains) (http://seawall.sourceforge.net/)

I am very much a newbie to firewalls so will be learning in this
experience.

I plan to use slap my Billion BI-PAC 711CE ADSL modem in bridged mode.
The Mac has two Digital 10/100 nics. One will be plugged into the ADSL
modem the other into my Xnet 8 port switch.

I will also be using the PPC machine for NAT/DHCP (of course) and I may
also install apache at a later date.

What do you think it the best option for a firewall?

Should I use the Seattle Firewall (seawall) or update the 2.4 (can this
be done on this machine?) and use netfilter? Or suggest a better option.
(:

regards,

--
Chris Caston

Director
Aptitude Technology
http://www.aptitudetech.com.au
ABN: 51614966828

ph: (08) 9443 9418
mobile: 0422 978315

chris at debian:~$ host security.microsoft.com
security.microsoft.com does not exist (Authoritative answer)