[plug] Virtual Servers and DNS entries

Richard Mortimer linux at netfire.com.au
Wed Sep 10 09:57:40 WST 2003

Greeting Folks,

After a long battle to get virtual servers running under apache, I finally
managed to get them working, with the basic idea of splitting our website
into several smaller domains for specific jobs (ie, use
http://www.netfire.com.au for the main domain http://bugs.netfire.com.au for
the bug tracking software, http://help.netfire.com.au for the application's
help pages, etc).

Whilst this is working fine from within our firewall, I tried to access a
couple of virtual servers from home last night and got a "Server not found"
error - am I correct in having a guess that our upstream ISP have provided a
DNS entry similar to (apologies for my rough mapping outline):

    www.netfire.com.au => 203.15.140.159
    netfire.com.au => 203.15.140.159

and there *should* be an entry that says something like:

    *.netfire.com.au => 203.15.140.159

Is that correct, or does there need to be a DNS entry at the upstream
provider for every virtual domain?

Is this something that I can ask our ISP to provide to allow me to control
sub-domains from our server?

Thanks

Richard

J. Richard Mortimer - webmaster