[plug] Virtual Servers and DNS entries

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 10 12:08:36 WST 2003

In message <013301c3774f$bc06a660$b000a8c0 at richard>
on Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:58:03AM +0800, Richard Mortimer wrote:
> I guess the "gotchya" for young players is that the VirtualHost tag is the
> same for every virtualhost,

OTOH this is documented and shown by example in Apache's docs:
See /usr/share/doc/apache/manual/vhosts/name-based.html.en on Debian
systems running Apache 1.3 (I can't seem to contact the Apache website
right now).

> The secret to (named) Virtual Servers that I have found is that you need to
> bind them to a specific address (local IP), and a specific port (80, by
> default). Asking them to listen to any incoming traffic on port 80 won't
> suffice.

The docs seem to say:

"In the normal case where any and all IP addresses on the server should
be used, you can use * as the argument to NameVirtualHost.
(NameVirtualHost * will work only in version 1.3.13 and later.)"