[plug] NTP "exceeds sanity limit"

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Sep 13 23:02:37 WST 2003

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 10:18:48PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| > Anyone else noticed their system clock going haywire while ripping CDs?
|
| What hardware is this? If your system clock is slowing down (I assume
| that's what ntpdate's positive offsets indicate), it sounds like an
| (extreme) interrupts issue, but this should be particular to the
| hardware you're using.

Yep, the system clock is slowing down (to close to half its normal
rate).  Hardware: Asus A7N8X motherboard (nforce2 chipset, Athlon XP
CPU), IDE CD-ROM (actually DVD-RW) drive on SiI 680 IDE controller.

This board could well have interrupt ... issues; with local APIC support
built into the kernel it hangs every few hours under kernel 2.4 and
won't even boot with 2.6.

Cameron.