[plug] High speed WiFi

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 13 23:21:42 WST 2003

---- Original Message ----
From: brad at wasp.net.au
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au,
Subject: RE: [plug] High speed WiFi
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:19:49 +0400

>G'day all,
>
>I now have my video server setup, with about 780GB of Raid 5
>storage, and lots of stuff to watch. Problem is, my existing
>wireless setup is limited to about 550KB/s. Full DVD quality
>requires about double that.
>
>Is anyone using high speed WiFi and not having any hassles?
>I need a PCI card for the server and a PCMCIA for my laptop. Any
>recomendations?
>
>I'm currently using a D-Link Prisim 2.5 based pci card with hostap
>drives in the server and a generic hermes based pcmcia card.
>Time to upgrade.
>
>Cheers for any insight,
>Brad

I have recently installed a netgear WG311 802.11a/b/g PCI wireless
card in my server (Debian Woody, 2.4.22 kernel), and it seems to be
working faultlessly. The other end is currently a matching netgear
WG511 PCMCIA card in a indows laptop. Both cards are supposed to be
54mMbps (802.11g) at top speed, but I haven't tested the throughput
or done any optimisation yet. Windows/Samba file sharing is at least
equal to my wired lan (10Mbit half duplex?) over about 20 metres.

The WG311 (PCI) card is based on an Atheros 5212 controller chip,
supported (mostly) by the madwifi driver set,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/
madwifi needs at least kernel version 2.4.20.

Ad-hoc networks are not supported in the madwifi drivers, but running
the WG311 in 'master' mode seems to achieve the same results.

I have not yet set up the WG511 PCMCIA card under Linux, I believe
(hope) it is using the better supported PrismII chipset.

I can supply more notes on my configuration and a few gotchas along
the way if you decide to use these cards.

Steve