[plug] High speed WiFi

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Sep 14 13:31:05 WST 2003

Stephen Boak wrote:

> I have recently installed a netgear WG311 802.11a/b/g PCI wireless
> card in my server (Debian Woody, 2.4.22 kernel), and it seems to be
> working faultlessly. The other end is currently a matching netgear
> WG511 PCMCIA card in a indows laptop. Both cards are supposed to be
> 54mMbps (802.11g) at top speed, but I haven't tested the throughput
> or done any optimisation yet. Windows/Samba file sharing is at least
> equal to my wired lan (10Mbit half duplex?) over about 20 metres.
>
> The WG311 (PCI) card is based on an Atheros 5212 controller chip,
> supported (mostly) by the madwifi driver set,
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/
> madwifi needs at least kernel version 2.4.20.
>
> Ad-hoc networks are not supported in the madwifi drivers, but running
> the WG311 in 'master' mode seems to achieve the same results.
>
> I have not yet set up the WG511 PCMCIA card under Linux, I believe
> (hope) it is using the better supported PrismII chipset.
>
> I can supply more notes on my configuration and a few gotchas along
> the way if you decide to use these cards.

That is the kind of info I'm after, thanks. Benchmarks would be good
when you get a chance. Even if it's just sucking down an .iso with wget
I'll get an idea of raw trasnfer rate :p)

I have an idea I'm working on at the moment to use a kernel mode
encapsulated packet driver, as on the air 802.11b requires an ack for
every packet sent.
For example I send a tcp packet over the network. It leaves the server
and hits the client. The wifi card on the client sends an ack back to
the wifi card on the server to ack the packet. The client's network
stack then generates the ack to the tcp packet and sends it back to the
server, the servers wifi card then sends an ack back to the clients card.
So for every packet sent, there are two packets on the air. Now in
theory when a packet leaves destined to the broadcast address the wifi
architecture does not require acks on the air. So my theory is to
encapsulate all outgoing packets and send them using a broadcast MAC
addr, and do the packet filtering in the kernel module. This will
increase the cpu usage on the nodes, but should reduce the bandwidth
overhead on the air, thus allowing more data to be sent..

I'll be working on this over the next couple of weeks, will be
interesting to see how it goes anyway.

The more I get into the low level of 802.11b the more I realise it's
just a bastard child of ethernet. Urgh!

Brad

Brad