[plug] CVS

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Sep 14 17:48:53 WST 2003

Hi all,

I've just been banging my head against a wall all weekend and wondered
if there was a "better way". Please bear in mind when you respond that
while I'm an experienced developer, I've only been using CVS for a week.

Here's what I have:

A directory with software that I wrote. Each version of the software is
in its own directory, eg. v0.1, v0.2, etc, all told 18 versions.

Here's what I want:

A CVS repository showing the history of my software development.

This is what I've tried:

Using cvs import, to import the new version. This works really well and
all of the files just do their thing, however, it does not remove or
move any files as they did during the development process. What I end up
with is a hierarchy that contains all files I've ever used - of course
they have a history each, but there are files visible in v0.18, that
were removed in v0.12

I then created a script to manually add/remove files as appropriate, but
if you remove a file, it's gone, and when you re-add it, it's a new file
with no history.

I looked at mcvs which promised to do all of the above with no problems,
however while the software looks like it might work, it doesn't come
with nearly enough documentation, and it isn't compatible with CVS, so I
cannot use lincvs to actually develop software.

I've found that looking at the history of my code is very enlightning,
but how do I create a sandbox that only has the files in it that are
part of v0.x, and not all the others?

Here's hoping that one of you uses CVS every day and know how to make
this work...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..