[plug] CVS

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Sun Sep 14 18:49:06 WST 2003

Onno Benschop wrote:

>while I'm an experienced developer, I've only been using CVS for a week.

Hey, me too! Well, the bit about using CVS for a week anyway... :-[

>Here's what I have:
>
>A directory with software that I wrote. Each version of the software is
>in its own directory, eg. v0.1, v0.2, etc, all told 18 versions.

Now coming from me you might want to take this with a barrel of salt
because it sounds like you have a clue which is more than I can say for
myself, but, if I understand the principles of CVS correctly and what
you say you want to do (which is to have all the versions of your
software represented in CVS) then I think that the best way to do it
would be:
1) establish the CVSROOT in (a copied directory) of your v0.1 code.
Import this, NOT the whole directory with 18 versions. Just the 0.1
files/directory.
2) Then do a commit.
3) Then check out the 0.1 files into a working directory and replace the
files in that directory with the 0.2 files.
4) Check the files in the working directory into CVS and do another commit.
5) Repeat steps 2-4 18 times.

Now that might sound labourious, and undoubtedly there's a better way,
but I think this method might work. It will very likely stuff up your
versioning system numbers, but you ought to have 18 versions
represented. I think......

<disclaimer> I was born under a bad sign and was slow at school. If
anything I suggest goes wrong, don't blame me, blame him.</disclaimer> :-)

Let us know how you fare. Good luck!
sol