[plug] CVS

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Sep 14 19:56:25 WST 2003

Hi,

In message <1063532932.951.7.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 05:48:53PM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> I've just been banging my head against a wall all weekend
> and wondered if there was a "better way".

Please move this to the OT list.
P.S. Jackhammers work well. ;-)

> Please bear in mind when you respond that while I'm an experienced
> developer, I've only been using CVS for a week.

Then go back to whatever version control you *used* to use ;-)

> Here's what I want:
>
> A CVS repository showing the history of my software development.

Step 1. Use time machine to begin using CVS at v0.1 ;-)

> Using cvs import, to import the new version.

Maybe it would be best to import the oldest version first?

> This works really well and all of the files just do their thing,
> however, it does not remove or move any files as they did during the
> development process.

Depending on the extent of complexity of your changes, CVS might not be
suitable for this task (esp. if you move to file to a name that was
occupied by a file that has been removed at some time in the past).

> What I end up with is a hierarchy that contains all files I've ever
> used - of course they have a history each, but there are files visible
> in v0.18, that were removed in v0.12

import adds files and merges changes, but does not delete file. You will
need to remove files manually (which you have tried...)

> I then created a script to manually add/remove files as appropriate, but
> if you remove a file, it's gone, and when you re-add it, it's a new file
> with no history.
[...]
> I looked at mcvs which promised to do all of the above with no problems,
> however while the software looks like it might work, it doesn't come
> with nearly enough documentation, and it isn't compatible with CVS, so I
> cannot use lincvs to actually develop software.

Oh, that's a shame. I was going to suggest svn since it images the
entire hierarchy for each revision. However, it is even further removed
from cvs than mcvs would be. On the other hand, there is probably a GUI
for it anyway. (But...you may not like the prospect of trying to build
SVN or deal with any bugs!)

> I've found that looking at the history of my code is very enlightning,
> but how do I create a sandbox that only has the files in it that are
> part of v0.x, and not all the others?

There shouldn't be a problem with that per se, but I might have
misunderstood your requirements.