[plug] distro question: 'standard'?

Nathan D natdan at pobox.com
Mon Sep 15 12:44:27 WST 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:11:29 +1000, Jens Porup wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:58:29AM +0800, John Knight wrote:
>>G'day all!
>>
>>A friend of mine is considering Linux and I don't want her to have a
>>redhatted or mandraked version, if you know what I mean. ;)
 <snip>
>>Standard KDE is a MUST. ;)
>
>I have recently had great success with Libranet, which is "Debian that
>just works." Comes with a Libranet installer, and they maintain their
>own apt repositories, so you don't have to fuss about trying to straddle
>more than one Debian stream. Highly recommend it as a desktop install.
>
>http://www.libranet.com/
>
>Regards,
>Jens
Another vote for Libranet as it is what I had on my desktop until recently.
Last week it was replaced with Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/) [thanks to Trevor], and it has installed and behaved nicely so far.  KDE 3.1 is included and no sign of a command line just yet.  Only gripe is not letting me set my hostname to the usual 5 character name and insisting on 6.  Command line will take care of that :)
As mentioned previously, mirror.3fl.net have the ISO's (2) and only CD1 is required to run the live demo or do the install.  I have both CD's at home if bandwidth is an issue.

regards,
  Nathan.