[plug] distro question: 'standard'?

Jens Porup jens at cyber.com.au
Mon Sep 15 11:11:29 WST 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:58:29AM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> G'day all!
>
> A friend of mine is considering Linux and I don't want her to have a
> redhatted or mandraked version, if you know what I mean. ;) RH 7.3 wasn't
> too bad, because KDE had a standard menu included, with a standard desktop,
> but everything onwards is bluecurved, and mandrake haven't had a  standard
> desktop for years. SuSE doesn't look too far from it, the last version I
> used of SuSE was 7.3, althougha little unstable, it could be reconfigured
> for standard KDE menus, etc. Can you still do that in 8.2? Are there any
> other distributions that anyone would recommend that doesn't have a command
> line based installation program (ie. Debian)? I don't want to put her off
> you see.......
>
> Standard KDE is a MUST. ;)

I have recently had great success with Libranet, which is "Debian that
just works." Comes with a Libranet installer, and they maintain their
own apt repositories, so you don't have to fuss about trying to straddle
more than one Debian stream. Highly recommend it as a desktop install.

        http://www.libranet.com/

Regards,

Jens