[plug] [OT] signs that you're having a bad day: and why

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 18 10:01:40 WST 2003

Leon Brooks wrote:
<snip>
> The nub of the matter is that VeriSign are now answering for nonexistent
> domains, INCLUDING FOR EMAIL, so every time a spammer sends you stuff
> from a crap domain, your email servers try to bounce it... to VeriSign.
>
> Needless to say, VeriSign now has the mother of all overload problems,
> and you're about to run out of queue space if you don't block their IP
> address (and bin *all* mail to that IP) in a hurry.
>
> D'ya think VeriSign might be in just a teensy bit of trouble for
> breaking email servers and proxy caches the world over by answering DNS
> requests that weren't supposed to be answered?
>
> Cheers; Leon

I fired off an email to westnet yesterday asking what they were going to
do to shield their customers from the repercussions of this (mostly just
to add a little pressure to those who can put pressure on those who
matter if you get my drift).

Their reply this morning-
#################
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your email. This situation and its repercussions are being
closely monitored. We are intending to make certain changes to relieve
any impact on our customers.

Kind Regards
Michael
Michael Wilson
Domain Administrator
WestNet - Your Australia Wide Internet Provider
Phone: (08) 9218 2600 - Fax: 1300 554 160
http://www.westnet.com.au/
It's SERVICE that sets us APART

It looks like some time yesterday they blocked port 80 but mail is still
going out and then coming back with a 550 error.  There are going to be
lots of confused punters over the next few weeks who misspell the domain
name and get an error saying the user name is wrong.  More problems to fix.

Tim Bowden