[plug] Alternatives to Verisign/Thawte

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Sep 18 10:52:54 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 18/09/2003 10:40 AM
-----

                      marty at supine.com
                      (Martin)                 To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      plug-admin at plug.l        Subject:  Re: [plug] Alternatives to Verisign/Thawte
                      inux.org.au

                      18/09/2003 10:27
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>$author = "Patrick Tehvand" ;
>>
>> I have previously used Thwaite. easy process to get it.

>ummmm, have a guess who owns Thawte.

>http://www.thawte.com/html/CORPORATE/timeline.html

>marty

I think Patrick said exactly what he meant ;).

Notwithstanding the posting by Leon on how to misspell creatively, Thawte
<> Thwaite. See

http://www.wittsend.com/crypto/notes23.html

<quote>
 Most browsers will complain if the common name in the certificate does not
match the server name it was attempting to contact. Most browsers will also
complain if the certificate was not signed by a recognized certifying
authority, such as Verisign or Thwaite.
</quote>

Or this site also mentions certificates by Thwaite

http://www.oznet.net.au/oznet/domain.htm

Having said that, let me answer the original question. Oznet
http://secure.oznet.com.au/ can sell you 128 bit digital certs at
AU$297/year from GeoTrust.

Cheers
RichardM