[plug] GIMP users to confirm behaviour

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Sep 18 12:58:22 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 12:36, James Devenish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a query about GIMP v1.2.3. I have *never*, on any platform or X
> server, been able to use the arrow keys to move (nudge) a selected area
> of any layer. However, I have found claims on the Interwebnet that lead
> me to believe it should be possible with the GIMP (but with which
> versions?). Alternatively, I would be more than happy to have a way to
> enter a numerical movement in order to move a selection. My principal
> desire is to move pixels perfectly horizontally or perfectly vertically
> without using my pointing device. Does anyone have any personal
> experience with this?

Not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but if you select something
then click the 4 pointed cross tool (the sort of standard 'move' icon)
which has a tooltip of 'Move layers & selections', then the arrow keys
will move the entire layer and holding alt will move the selection.

As for restraining to 45/90 degrees as shift normally does in a lot of
program, I don't know.   I thought I did it once in the GIMP, but I just
tried it then and had no luck.

Can I suggest a ruler and protractor situated next to your mouse? :)

Ryan