[plug] GIMP users to confirm behaviour

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 18 13:26:59 WST 2003

In message <3F693E7E.8000600 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:11:26PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >Actually, I am more than happy to use my pointing device, but I still
> >need to reliably constrain the motion to 90- or 45-degree axes. Holding
> >down the shift key doesn't seem to invoke this behaviour.
>
> Wow... I can't believe GIMP doesn't have any kind of nudge. It's
> probably there, but involves setting scroll lock then holding down the
> END key while pressing the vi directional keys with your nose :-P

But I could DO that! (I am actually going to try scroll lock and
directional keys right now...nope, didn't work.)

> GIMP 1.3 appears to nudge entire layers using the arrow keys,
[...]
> Aha... you can nudge cut/copied then pasted regions, as those are
> temporary layers.

Right. I would love a Debian binary package for i386 (yuck: GIMP AND
i386 -- and I'm admitting to this in a public forum!).

> So... try GIMP 1.3 and see if that helps.

I have tried GIMP 1.3 on another platform (actually...fires up a
copy...hmmm, can't seem to use the arrow keys to do anything useful
there, either) but I actually find it deficient in some areas so I
stopped using it. Actually, I also remember that plug-ins tended to make
it crash but I couldn't get stack dumps from them because it wanted kept
dropping into a debugger that wouldn't accept keyboard input.