[plug] GIMP users to confirm behaviour

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Sep 18 13:36:30 WST 2003

> Right. I would love a Debian binary package for i386 (yuck: GIMP AND
> i386 -- and I'm admitting to this in a public forum!).

C'mon, it could be worse: GIMP on ia64 :-P

Unfortunately, GIMP 1.3 wants a recent gtk2 - at which point you run
into the Debian Mouldware factor. There are probably debian packages out
there for gtk2 and all it requires (pango, fontconfig, glib, etc), but I
ended up building from source because it was easier.

It builds on newer distros without any additional libs, of course.

>>So... try GIMP 1.3 and see if that helps.
>
> I have tried GIMP 1.3 on another platform (actually...fires up a
> copy...hmmm, can't seem to use the arrow keys to do anything useful
> there, either) but I actually find it deficient in some areas so I
> stopped using it. Actually, I also remember that plug-ins tended to make
> it crash but I couldn't get stack dumps from them because it wanted kept
> dropping into a debugger that wouldn't accept keyboard input.

Fair enough. I've been using GIMP 1.3 as my main image editor for basic
stuff (when I can't be bothered moving to one of the Macs to use
Photoshop, or they're all in use) and had no trouble. However, as I said
- basic stuff. I haven't used the plugins etc extensively, and it /is/ a
development branch, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues.

It works better for me, but that doesn't mean it will for you. It does
seem stupid to have to say 'upgrade to the unstable development version
to get a trivial UI feature', but there isn't much to be done about it
unless you feel like fiddling with the GIMP source code.

I'm not aware of any way to do what you want in GIMP 1.2, sorry.

Craig Ringer