[plug] programming

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 18 15:58:57 WST 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Ben New wrote:

> Btw, these 2 languages are both taught at Murdoch in first year CS
> subjects, so someone else must agree they are good for beginners ;-)

The logic does not hold up; another university taught Ada as its first
computing language, but that does not make it "good for beginners", or
good for other things. Murdoch also taught Modula-2 as its first
language, at one stage.

The teaching of computing languages is faddish - what is taught, depends
only on the current fad, and Java is only more of a 4GL than C++,
without either I/O formatting or low-level functionality, and, C++ does
not have low-level I/O, soch as open, creat, etc, apart from lacking I/O
formatting, which is why c++ needs a C compiler to run on.

Oh, and the standard of teaching beginners programming at Murdoch, is
not as good as it should be. The standard of teaching beginners
programming at TAFE, in the 1980's, when TAFE in WA was a serious
teaching institution, was far superior. But, now, TAFE in WA is not much
more than a kindergarten.

"And what is good, and what is not good - do we need another to tell
us?"
- Socrates, in the dialogue Phaedrus, by Plato

"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-Shakespeare

--
Bret Busby
Armadale