[plug] programming

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Thu Sep 18 16:07:47 WST 2003

>>Btw, these 2 languages are both taught at Murdoch in first year CS
>>subjects, so someone else must agree they are good for beginners ;-)
>>

>The logic does not hold up; another university taught Ada as its first
>computing language, but that does not make it "good for beginners", or
>good for other things. Murdoch also taught Modula-2 as its first
>language, at one stage.

I only said that because they are taught at Murdoch, then someone agrees
with my opinion that they are good for beginners. I never said that
because they were taught at Murdoch, they were therefore intrinsically
good for beginners. :-)

>The teaching of computing languages is faddish - what is taught, depends
>only on the current fad, and Java is only more of a 4GL than C++,

How is Java or C++ a 4GL? A 4GL is a language like VB, a "visual"
language. At least that is what I understand.

>without either I/O formatting or low-level functionality, and, C++ does
>not have low-level I/O, soch as open, creat, etc, apart from lacking I/O
>formatting, which is why c++ needs a C compiler to run on.

I'm not sure what you mean by "without I/O formatting", or the rest of
this paragraph... :-/

>Oh, and the standard of teaching beginners programming at Murdoch, is
>not as good as it should be. The standard of teaching beginners
>programming at TAFE, in the 1980's, when TAFE in WA was a serious
>teaching institution, was far superior. But, now, TAFE in WA is not much
>more than a kindergarten.

Well, like I said, don't get me started on Murdoch.....

Ben