[plug] [OT] murdoch IT dept

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Thu Sep 18 16:15:25 WST 2003

>And, how long ago was that?

1995-1999, so not that long ago.

>When B106 and B209 were teaching C++, the computer systems unit was
>teaching C (B216, from memory).

I'm guessing that was more recently than me because I graduated at end
of 1st semester 1999, which was the first year that CS moved out of the
physical sciences area. All the unit codes then changed from Mxxx to Bxxx.

>>That's what you get when you put IT in between Business and Law instead
>>of between Maths and Science!
>>

>What do you mean, "between Business and Law"?

Uhhhhh... as in the title of the school, "BITL" or "Business, IT and Law"
;-}

>The teaching IT department is part of the Faculty of Arts. The Arts
>Faculty awards "science" qualifications in computing (now even
>BSc - Computer Gaming, and, PostGrad Dip Sc - Computer Gaiming; the only
>Postgrad Dip offered by the School of It at Murdoch).

I didn't know about the computer gaming degrees - in the 90's, there was
only 1 unit called computer graphics that was even remotely in that
direction. I wonder if that has changed now or if they just have a
degree that has that name, and probably includes an independent study
unit or two?

My point is that CS used to be down the other end of uni, next to maths
and the other science units. It was a science discipline. Now everything
west of the library is part of the Division of Arts, including IT. Imho
it was the worst move they could have made. Anyway... nothing we can do
about it now.

Ben