[plug] Broadband woes

Patrick Tehvand patrick at carey.wa.edu.au
Fri Sep 19 12:57:13 WST 2003

Hello Pluggers.

This may be off topic, flame me privately if you feel inclined to do so.

We have tried rather unsuccessfully to get DSL here at Carey. Apparently
we are on a pair-gain system which is mutually exclusive to dsl.

As ISDN is expensive for what it is and satellite isn't on WAIX (and
=$$$) I am considering my alternatives.

One idea that could have merit (maybe) is for us to set up a wireless
link with someone who can get dsl (perhaps another school closer to the
CBD) to get around the issue.

As I have had very little experience with wireless in this sort of
application, I was wondering if those of you with more experience could
let me know what sort of costs are involved for this sort of thing, and
indeed if it is possible at all.

Cheers

--
Patrick Tehvand
IT Department,

Member - Society of Linux Professionals (WA)

support running on Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike).
12:51:15 up 8 days, 37 min, 6 users, load average: 0.23, 0.30, 0.28