[plug] dcopserver?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Sep 19 15:24:32 WST 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 03:18:56PM +0800, Sol wrote:
> I'm having a hard time with a minor problem. Recently I used rsync to
> mirror things like /etc/passwd to a few client PCs. All was ticket-e-boo
> except for on one client, one user account refuses to login - the one
> account that existed prior to adding all the entries in passwd and
> shadow - it just returns an error message and restarts kdm.
>
> This is the error:
>
> 'There was an error setting up inter process communications for KDE. The
> message returned by the system was:
>
> Could not read network connection list.
> /home/dhammaloka/.DCOPserver_ws4__0
>
> Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.'
>
> I've checked configs and restarted daemons, I've even completely wiped
> out the /home/dhammaloka directory and replaced it from scratch and
> nothing seems to help. Yet there must be a simple fix for this!
>
> Any ideas?

Check that the UID of dhammaloka is the same as it was before.  Change
everything in ~dhammaloka to the new UID if not.  If you've done that
and it's ok, look in /tmp for things owned by the name dhammaloka but
with the old UID.  Those you can probably safely delete.  Some of these
types of programs create temporary files and unix domain sockets in
places like that.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
		-- Publius Syrus