[plug] recommendation for MySQL server

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Sep 20 20:00:52 WST 2003

I would like to get a viewpoint from the members on the following:
1) the amount of $$$ is NOT a consideration

Looking at building a MySQL server to handle in-house critical work.  Web page data is generated from the database plus constant inputting of data and calculation.

Application to be run:
Red Hat 9.0
PHP4
MySQL 4
Apache 2
SSH

I'm looking at the following:
1) IDE RAID5 with 4 x 120GB drives 7200RPM ATA100
2) Sony CDT or AIT tapebackup
3) 2 x 10/100/1000 Intel NIC
4) Intel P4 3GHz CPU
5) 2GB PC3200 ECC Memory

Motherboard consists of the following:
 Socket 478 Intel® Pentium® 4/Celeron® NetBurst
 4 x DDR SDRAM PC3200 ECC Registered, 4GB max.
 5 PCI, 1 AGP 8x (1.5v only)
 Highpoint HPT374 UDMA/ATA 133 RAID
 Broadcom BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet
 ATX

Now I've worked with the Broadcom NIC and that works great, but I have not worked with a Highpoint RAID card. Does anyone have good and /or bad experiences with this card or should I buy a separate card?

My other option is to go with a SCSI system using a Adaptec RAID card, etc.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby