[plug] Internet censorship

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Sep 20 20:19:10 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:

> Even without worrying about reconfiguring the proxy, you can make use of
> the Netscape* "proxy automatic configuration" ("pac" format) technique to
> have your browser make proxying decisions based on pre-determined host
> names or IP addresses. For instance, you could tell your browser to use
> auto proxy configuration by accessing a URL that provides content of
> type application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig, for example:
>
> function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
> {
>     if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
>         shExpMatch(host, "192.109.42.*") ||
>         dnsDomainIs(host, ".bytsex.org") ||
>         return "PROXY proxy1.blah:8888; DIRECT";
>     else
>         return "PROXY proxy2.blah:8888; DIRECT";
> }
>
> Of course, every web browser will need to be configured with the URL of
> the PAC data.
>
> * By "Netscape" I mean "the company that was known as". The PAC format
>   is understood by IE, Mozilla, etc.

Brilliant!! I had never even though of that!

I'm not worried about anyone elses machines, it's just I tend to hit the
censorship wall a lot and I'm sick of reconfiguring my proxy settings
when I do. I'll figure this one out and give it a try. Thanks :p)

Hmm shame apt-get does not use that format, would you believe that
http://marillat.free.fr is sometimes censored. Depends on what mood the
etisalat proxy is in that day. Makes doing an apt-get update / upgrade a
pain at times.

Brad