[plug] Red Hat

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Sep 22 02:02:31 WST 2003

> Does that mean that anyone who has a set of RH 9 CD's, can not now copy
> them and give copies to people?

My understanding is that they just don't want them sold as "Red Hat" -
you're still quite free to copy them etc. Check their website for info.

> If so, that appears to be strange, and seems to cross the line from Open
> Source to Microsoft Licensing.

Far from it. They don't gain audit or search powers, the ability to
charge license fees, remotely modify your OS without your permission,
etc. They just choose not to license their trademark for free to other
companies.

Craig Ringer